We are writing to provide the teacher community with an important update regarding China’s new education regulations.
These regulations have taken time to fully understand and VIPKid has been working all hours to explore different business avenues that could minimize the impact of the regulations on the lives of teachers, students, parents, and our staff in China and the US.First and foremost, let us be clear that we are confident that VIPKid’s business will remain operational
. The business, however, will look different than it has to date. We want to take this opportunity to share our plan for moving forward as we navigate this new era of online education.Short-Term Impact
On August 6, 2021, VIPKid was informed of the required changes to our business. Specifically:
- Students in China who have already purchased class packages will be able to finish their courses with foreign VIPKid teachers on the platform. This is good news because many parents have purchased classes several months in advance. VIPKid teachers can still count on work for several months with students in China who have already purchased packages.
- Starting August 7, 2021, students in China will be unable to purchase new class packages with foreign VIPKid teachers outside of China. To clarify, this means that students in China will only be able to take the remaining classes that they have already purchased. VIPKid will be unable to sell products offering lessons with foreign teachers outside of China to students in China.
- Students outside of China can continue purchasing and/or renewing their classes with foreign teachers. In addition, international course offerings can continue as normal. VIPKid will be investing in the expansion of these offerings so that teachers can continue and grow their opportunities on the platform. Students in other countries will continue to be able to take classes with foreign teachers.
We are incredibly disappointed to have to share this news, as until today, we had been hopeful there would be minimal impact to teachers. We recognize that many of you may be feeling upset, confused and frustrated about these changes and wondering, what does the future look like for VIPKid and teachers on the VIPKid platform? We understand that this change will not only impact the special connections you’ve formed with your students, but also the livelihoods of you and your loved ones at home.As we previously shared, VIPKid’s top priority is for all teachers to continue teaching on our platform, so that together, we can continue in our mission to inspire and empower every child for the future. While this new future will look different than the one-to-one English lessons you have been teaching to students in China, we are committed to seeing our mission through and offering opportunities for teachers to succeed on the VIPKid platform.
In the short term, we feel confident that the booking rate will remain similar over the next few months as students schedule classes for which they’ve already paid. Beyond that, we want to be clear about our long term plans for VIPKid.Long-Term Vision
You may have noticed that VIPKid has been piloting several programs globally over the past year. These international product lines, reading programs for US students and Adult Courses are not impacted by the regulations. VIPKid also continues to invest in markets outside of China. We expect these teaching opportunities to grow in the coming months. With these programs and expansion into new markets, subjects and areas (for example, English Speaking for Adults, Math, Science, Art), it is our intention to minimize the impact to teachers.
With the above in mind, we want to ease your concerns and make the following points clear:
- Bookings: Teachers will continue to be booked for classes that were already purchased. Booked trials on your schedule will also continue to take place.
- Payments: As always, teachers will continue to be paid as scheduled.
- Contracts: Contracts will continue to be renewed. In addition, we will continue to recruit new teachers and our referral program will continue as we anticipate growth in new areas of the business.
- Relationships With Your Students: We also recognize that teachers may not know how many classes they have left with their students in China. Your connections with students mean the world to VIPKid and we will create a solution and plan for teachers to be able to properly say goodbye to their parents and students in China when the time comes. Please stay tuned for more updates here.
It is our promise to continue to update the teacher community on VIPKid’s plans and next steps. This landing page
will continue to include all communication updates with a timestamp for tracking and transparency.
We say it time and again, but the teacher community is truly an essential part of the global classroom we are collectively building. VIPKid’s success is directly due to your daily contributions and we are so grateful for your talents, expertise, and dedication. Together, we know that we can unite to overcome the challenges along the way. Thank you to the entire teacher community.